Old Fashioned Scalloped (or Au Grautin) Potatoes
Follow these steps for the best Scalloped or Au Grautin Potatoes you have
ever eaten. To change this recipe to Au Grautin, just cut up chunks of Velveeta
Cheese (block style) or slices of Velveeta, in the different layers of this dish.
Layer thin sliced potatoes in a well greased deep baking dish, covering the bottom.
Then sprinkle each layer with salt, pepper, onion, parsley and flour (be sure to cover
each layer almost completely with flour), and here is where you add Velveeta to make
these into Au Grautin. After you almost fill the dish with layers, dot with butter and
cover the layers completely with Milk. Bake uncovered at 375° until potatoes are
tender. This dish needs to bake around an hour and half.....but start testing the tenderness
of the potatoes after one hour. After its done, let it set for about 10 minutes on top of
the stove before serving.
- Potatoes, sliced med.(#potatoes depends on # eating)
- Salt and Pepper
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped Parsley
- (Optional Velveeta Cheese for Au Grautin)
Country Mac & Cheese
In a baking dish, layer twice the macaroni, cheese and onion. Pour egg
mixture over all. Dot with butter and bake until firm @350° for 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup dry Macaroni
- Cook according to the directions
- then drain, and set aside.
- Beat: 3 Eggs, then Salt and Pepper to taste
- Add: 1 1/2 cups Milk
- Mix and set aside
- 3/4 lb. of medium sharp cheese (cut in chunks)
- (optional ~ 1/2 med. sweet onion, chopped)
Combine potatoes, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Press into the
bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie plate. In a bowl, beat eggs and
milk. Add remaining cheeses and salt; pour over potato crust. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
clean. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
- 2 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
A Chesapeake Charm Bed & Breakfast recipe, Cape Charles, Virginia
Fried Green Tomatoes
Mix flour,corn meal, salt and pepper in large bowl or brown paper bag.
Wash and slice tomatoes. Drop the tomatoes into the flour mixture.
- 6 to 8 green tomatoes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- 1 cup oil
Add tomatoes to hot oil-shaking off excess flour. Cook till golden brown
on bottom, then turn over to brown other side. Keep turning tomatoes till all are brown.
Best if fried in large iron skillet.
Mix together. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with Pam and bake at 375 °
for 40-45 minutes.
- 1 can cream corn
- 1 can whole kernel corn (do not drain)
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 box Jiffy corn bread mix
This recipe furnished by the innkeepers at Dunhopen Inn, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
This is a wonderful dish to take along when you are asked to bring something to
the dinner party. It's easy to make and travels well. Expect to take home an
In a large bowl, combine the soup, sour cream and garlic salt. Add potatoes and
cheddar cheese; mix well. Pour into a greased 13'' x 9'' x 2'' baking pan. Sprinkle
with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until
potatoes are tender and the top is lightly browned. 12 to 16 servings
- 2 cans (10 ¾ oz each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 package (2 pounds) frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sweet Potato Pone
Preheat the oven to 350° Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Then beat in remaining ingredients
and pour into a buttered 2 quart soufflé or baking dish. Bake until firm and golden brown,
about 2 hours. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving; this allows the flavor to intensify.
(Original recipe from Damnyankee in a Southern Kitchen by Helen Worth.)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound) peeled and grated
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted